Wednesday, March 18, 2015

If i were a boy...

If i were a boy..would getting me married be my parent's top priority?
If i were a boy...would i be told to sit properly at the age of 6, neatly tucking my legs and frock?
If i were a boy...would i be asked to make to make tea and learn how to perfect the round "chappati?" Because after all that is what my life was going to amount to - cooking good food?
If i were a boy...would i be asked to clean up the house and kitchen?
If i were a boy...would i be excluded from talks of politics, education or business - because i was not expected to understand them?
If i were a boy...would i be asked to wear full length clothes covering every inch of my body so as not to tempt and invite trouble?
If i were a boy...would i be asked to laugh softly, cry softly and talk softly?
If i were a boy...would i be asked to be driven about and accompanied by a grown up every time i stepped out?
If i were a boy...would i be expected to come home by 7 because god knows what terrors lie in the dark?
If i were a boy...would my chances of being married be forever ruined if i was caught with a drink in my hand or a smoke in my mouth?
If i were a boy...would my character be ruined if i was caught talking to a stranger of the opposite sex?
If i were a boy...would i be expected to ask for help and act docile, even when i knew my fitness would far excel the others?
If i were a boy...would i be expected to keep shut if someone hit me, because making a big deal about it would bring shame to the family?
If i were a boy, would i get the first bite of the sumptuous food placed on the table?
If i were a boy, would i be told to keep my opinions to myself because we are not supposed to hold a thought or opinion in our head?
If i were a boy... would having / not having kids be my decision?
If i were a boy...would i be trusted with money, trusted to earn it and trusted to spend it?
If i were a boy... would maids, cleaning, cooking and washing be my sole responsibility?
If i were a boy...would i expected to give up a career for home?
If i were a boy....would i be asked to sit in the kitchen with the other boys while the women sat and drank and made merry?
If i were a boy....would i expected to wait for my wife to return from work or a party to eat, no matter even if i am dying of hunger?
If i were a boy...would i expected to fast for my wife?
If i were a boy....would i expected to leave my home, my family and adjust to a new one without a complaint?
If i were a boy...would the inability to produce children lead to my ostracism?
If i were a boy...would i be required, and expected to hate other boys?
If i were a boy...would i be capable of  talking only about dresses, shoes or women with the other boys?
If i were a boy...would taking a vacation on my own be tantamount to my parents losing control over me?
If i were a boy...living in another country, would i be termed as damaged goods because i live in with a girl to share expenses?
If i were a boy...would flirting with multiple women make me a slut? Or would it be a matter of pride?
If i were a boy...would my life and its major decisions depend on the women who surround me?


Fortunately, i have had it easy. With parents, cousins, my husband, my immediate circle not making  a distinction - i do not think it would have made any difference if was born a girl, or a boy!

But for so many women out there it is a daily struggle, a struggle to make their voices heard, to live the life they want to. So if you are a man - respect your mother she has sacrificed a lot for you, treat your sister as your equal, let your wife be independent and do not let her be tied down at home.

But more than the men, the change has to begin with us - women!
Respect women, all kinds of women - single, married, straight, gay, mothers, sisters, career women, home makers, feminists - all.
Refuse to be categorized and refuse to categorize other women.
Raise sons who understand the importance of being respectful and raise daughters who will fight for the respect.Be generous mother in laws and accommodating daughters in law. Respect men the way you want them to respect you.

And do not be the ones to berate or humiliate another woman because she does not fit your mold of how life should be lived.

It is very easy to celebrate women's day and have men declare their love and respect for us, but the real respect must come from womankind.


Source: http://www.feministmum.co.uk/2014/10/is-feminism-new-cool.html






1 comment:

  1. Great post chick, completely agree we must respect each other
    Lauren
    livinginaboxx

    ReplyDelete